by Barbara Nevins Taylor
We wonder now how people who oppose Donald Trump’s policies will channel their energies into effective action. After the Women’s Marches, Trump issued a flurry of executive orders that can create chaos for people who need health insurance, deny a woman’s right to choose, threaten immigrants with deportation and separate America from its traditional and new allies.
Here’s the list of his executive orders so far:
1. Provide Relief From The Affordable Care Act
This allows federal officials to waive any rules or restrictions of the Affordable Care Act that “impose a financial or regulatory burden” on states or people.
2. Freezes All Regulations
This gives his administration to delay implementation of regulations until his administration reviews them, or beyond.
3. Blocks Taxpayer Money To Fund Birth Control Projects Abroad
This reinstates the “Mexico City Abortion” policy that blocks the use of taxpayer money to fund foreign non-governmental groups that promote abortion.
4. Ends The Trans-Pacific Partnership
The Senate never ratified the agreement between the U.S. and 11 Pacific countries. But Trump nixed it anyway.
5. Freezes The Federal Work Force
6. Approved Pipelines
Environmentalists and President Obama opposed the Dakota Access Pipeline and the Keystone XL Pipeline. Trump’s executive order asks for expedited review and construction of the Dakota Access Pipeline and asks TransCanada to resubmit an application for the Keystone XL Pipeline. Both pipelines would carry oil from Canada down across the U.S. to the Gulf of Mexico.
7. Speeds Review of Infrastructure Projects
Trump claims that projects have been delayed by “agency processes and procedures.” So he wants to speed them up.
8. Use American-Made Steel And Metal
Trump asked the Secretary of Commerce to draw up a Made-In-America plan to try to use American-made steel and metal when possible in pipelines and infrastructure projects.
9. Effort To Streamline Domestic Manufacturing
Trump asked the Secretary of Commerce to work with manufacturers and create a plan to streamline permitting for manufacturers.
10. Wants To Build A Wall
Trump plans to begin building a wall along the border between Mexico and the U.S. He will add 5,000 more border patrol agents if money is available and construct detention facilities near the border. He will also review all funding to Mexico.
11. Pursues Undocumented Immigrants
- He will block federal funds to sanctuary cities that don’t cooperate with federal agents to arrest undocumented immigrants.
- He will create a priority list of immigrants for deportation targeting those who have been arrested, apparently even for minor crimes.
- If money is available, he’ll hire 10,000 immigration officials.
- His administration will create a weekly list of crimes committed by immigrants.
- He’ll create an “Office for Victims of Crimes Committed by Removable Aliens.”
- He’ll reinstate the Secure Communities Program that allows local law enforcement officials to act as federal agents.