As of Sunday December 22, 2013 you have one more day to apply for Obamacare and health insurance that will go into effect on January 1st, 2014.
Healthcare.gov is working and here’s what you need to know:
1. Use the best browser for your computer.
2. Clear the history, cookies and cache.
3. Make sure your computer will accept cookies. You’ll get a big pop-up window.
4. You may not be able to use a mobile device. Best to stick with a desktop, or laptop if you can.
IF YOU TRIED TO SIGN UP AND COULDN’T
1. Clear your history, cookies and cache
2. Sign in with a new user name, email and password.
3. If you have a problem this time, check your junk email file for a notice.
DON’T HAVE A COMPUTER?
If you don’t have a computer at home, there is still time to apply on the phone. You can call 1-800-318-2596, or you can call that number and find out about local people in your community who are working with others to navigate the system.
In New York I’m on the board of the Community Service Society and they are running a navigator network in New York State. You can reach them at 1-888-614-5400 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
EXTRA TIME TO MAKE YOUR PAYMENTS
You have until December 31, 2013 to make your payment for insurance that begins January 1, 2014. But some insurers have complied with the Obama administration’s request and extended the deadline for payment until January 10, 2014.
But you must talk with the insurer whose plan you choose to make sure that you have the extra time. If not, you may have to make your first payment before insurance goes into effect.