Here’s a health care Valentine.
And this isn’t some kind of tacky ad that tries to pressure you into action. We think, despite the glitches, this a great way to get health insurance if you do not have insurance through your employer.
The very simple fact is that if you want health insurance, you can get it starting March 1st if you sign up by February 15th.
If your state does not have a health care exchange, you can use Healthcare.gov. It actually works and more than 3 million successfully used the online system or the call center to get the health insurance they need.
As you begin to apply, you’ll find an insurer and a plan that fits your budget and you may discover that you are eligible for a tax break that subsidizes the insurance.
TIPS FOR USING HEALTHCARE.GOV
1. Use the best browser for your computer.
2. Clear the history, cookies and cache.
3. Make sure your computer will accept cookies. You’ll get a big pop-up window.
4. You may not be able to use a mobile device. Best to stick with a desktop, or laptop if you can.
IF YOU TRIED TO SIGN UP AND COULDN’T
1. Clear your history, cookies and cache.
2. Sign in with a new user name, email and password.
3. If you have a problem this time, check your junk email file for a notice.
DON’T HAVE A COMPUTER?
If you don’t have a computer at home, there is still time to apply on the phone. You can call 1-800-318-2596, or you can call that number and find out about local people in your community who are working with others to navigate the system.